What is Warehouse Management Software?
Put simply, Warehouse management software is a type of software that helps businesses to manage their warehouse operations. It can be used to track inventory levels, stock movements, and orders. The software can also help companies to plan and optimise their warehouse space.
Effective warehouse management software aims to create a paperless environment in which workers are immediately sent to the best picking, packing, and shipping of products.
Warehouse management software features
When deciding which warehouse management software to use, you should consider your company’s functional needs and ensure the features you require are included.
Warehouse management software features typically include:
- Inventory management: tracking inventory levels, stock movements and orders.
- Warehouse space planning: optimise warehouse space usage
- Picking: send workers to the best picking locations
- Packing: Prepare products for shipment
- Shipping: coordinate shipping schedules and routes
- Barcodes can be printed on basic labels without needing additional equipment.
Benefits of Warehouse Management Software
A warehouse management system can help businesses save money and enhance warehouse efficiency. Below are more benefits of a warehouse management software system for your company.
- Improved accuracy – With warehouse management software, businesses can improve the accuracy of their inventory levels and stock movements. This can help to reduce the number of stockouts and enhance customer satisfaction.
- Enhanced productivity – WMS can help businesses optimise their warehouse operations and processes. This can lead to improved productivity and efficiency in the warehouse.
- Lower costs – by optimising warehouse operations, companies can lower their overall costs. This can include labour costs, transportation costs and inventory costs.
- Improved customer satisfaction – businesses can improve their customer satisfaction levels by improving the accuracy of inventory levels and shipping times. This can lead to increased sales and repeat business.
- Greater visibility – WMS can provide businesses with greater visibility into their warehouse operations which can help to improve decision making and problem-solving.
- Risk reduction – A warehouse management software system can help companies reduce the risks associated with their warehouse operations. This includes things like reducing the likelihood of errors and accidents.
Why do I need a Warehouse Management Software System?
A warehouse management system can increase business productivity, optimise inventory and labour management and improve customer satisfaction.
All of this leads to an increase in your company’s bottom line. To find the right solution for your business, it is essential to analyse your specific needs and objectives.
Once you have a clear understanding of what you need, you can start evaluating different warehouse management software systems to find the one that best meets your needs.
For more information about warehouse management software, get in touch.